Wednesday 3 March 2010

Instead of the ironing.

Today I set off with all good intentions to try and clear my ironing mountain but then found myself distracted by a piece of tea dyed muslin in my stash.





After drawing out the pattern in pencil I machined over the line on the body...




and around the arms and legs.



She was then stuffed with rags and bits of leftover calico. This gives a heavy and bumpy feel to the doll.




Next comes the face carefully stitched and blusher added for some rosy cheeks.




Her 'hat /ears' are an inpiration from my love of Julie Arkell creatures.



Add a button to hide a small mark on the vintage dolly tights.


I have never been able to resist vintage dolly dresses on my travels and have thought for a while how great it would be to make some dolls to fit them. Now complete with her socks she is finished but my ironing sadly is not!

3 comments:

  1. this is amazing!! I bought the book last year (Julie Arkell) for my sister. I got inspired to make a doll too and it took AGES - and it's still not finished. Would love to know how long this took you?!

    Amelia.x
    (ps thanks for the blog listing and compliment on my work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amelia,
    A couple of hours for this one but if you use paper mache much longer!
    I'm going on a Julie Arkell workshop at the end of this month. I can't wait! I just love all her stuff. I have made some more dolls with Arkell features. I will post photos over the weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it - and I love your blog -especially the motley crew!

    ReplyDelete