Sunday 28 February 2010

A weekend with Janet Bolton - "Follow your star"

I wanted to share with you the lovely weekend I have spent on a Janet Bolton workshop at the Hope and Elvis studio run by Louise Presley. Janet gave a great talk on her life and inspiration and gave us lots of tips and advice on how to start to create a piece of our own. This is my journey.
My finished piece and the inspiration behind it.



My inspiration came from this lovely picture in one of my all time favourite books - Seasons at Seven Gates Farm.



From the picture I then chose a colour palette from Louises wonderful stash of fabric.



Then I had to piece together the background and frame.



The 'almost' finished piece. Just a bit of snow to quilt on.



This picture shows a close up of the dress which was made from a very old piece of quilt. A truly fabulous day.

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful - it sounds like you had a lovely day, and made a beautful piece to show for it!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. Its nice to meet you in blog land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there - thanks for the follow :)

    I went to a Janet Bolton weekend in Whitstable (I think it was!) a couple of years ago with one sister and my mum. It was BRILLIANT. Sewing from dawn til dusk and laughing and chatting. What an experience!

    Lovely work, lovely work you made here. I guess you can see the influence still in my own art work!

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet really is lovely. She was so helpful and very interesting to talk to. Lots of great advice too.
    Your work is fab. :)x

    ReplyDelete